Home Photos Calendar Newsletter Members Info Join About Links Contact

Important Hobbyist Information

This page has links to important information for car hobbyists. First is information on titling including info on checking VINs and getting a bill of sale along with making sure you get the proper info on your title. That is followed by antique vehicle information that is useful to people who are buying and registering an antique. Last is a list of links to websites that have information that is useful to hobbyists. This page will be updated as needed. Be sure to check the Virginia Associatin of Car Councils for information on General Assembly bills relating to automotive legislation at VAACC.org.

DMV Titling Information

This contains information from the DMV speakers at the August 2015 meeting and some other information that I hope you will find useful. If in doubt about anything email or call the DMV administrators in the document; I have their contact information listed. And for the millionth time be sure to check to see if the VIN matches the VIN on the vehicle before buying it. This can save you a lot of trouble - just ask anyone who has purchased a vehicle without a matching VIN. There is also valuable info on purchasing an older vehicle from a non-title state. If you are thinking about buying a vehicle from a non-title state be sure to read it. Link to the document: Antique Vehicle Titling and Registration. I also have a bill of sale for use in buying or selling an antique vehicle: Bill of Sale; and a bill of sale for use if the signatures need to be notarized: Bill of Sale.

You may also find these links useful. The following link goes to the National Insurance Crime Bureau where you can put in a VIN that will be checked for fraud and theft at no cost. The link is www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck. You should do some research on the vehicle you are thinking about buying, check the VIN to make sure it matches the vehicle and of course make sure the VIN on the vehicle and title match.

The next link goes to Stolen Car Reports, another free service. At this site you can register a stolen vehicle. You can also search a zip code, city or area for the vehicles that were stolen from that area. The link is www.stolencarreports.com/report/Search.

Antique Plate Info Flyer Online

The council delegates have approved the flyer with information on antique plates and a link to it is online here: flyer opens to a new window. Council members and antique owners may print the flyer for their own reference or distribute it to those who own or are considering registering a vehicle as an antique. It will remain on the site for an undetermined time.

Links of Interest to Car Hobbyists

Member Councils

Car Club Council of Hampton Roads

Car Club Council of Central Virginia

Virginia Peninsula Car Club Council

General Assembly and Laws

Legislative Information System Home

General Assembly Home

Code of Virginia

License plates for antique motor vehicles - State Law

Property Tax Exemption for antique motor vehicles classified as household goods

Antique motor vehicles are classified as household goods and cannot be taxed unless the locality taxes all household goods

Titling and registration of replica vehicles - State Law

Right to keep inoperative vehicles on your property - State Law

Cities and Counties cannot charge for stickers/local registration fee on antique vehicles

Antique vehicles exempt from exhaust law

Motor vehicle recording devices - "black boxes" - State Law

Bill Tracking

General Assembly Members/Committees

Find Your Legislators

If you are building a car, truck, bike or considering modifying one you should check out the state law requirements. You can see them all by going to www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety_AntiqueVehicle.shtm or click on the links below to the Code of Virginia.

§ 46.2-1014.1. Supplemental high mount stop light.

§ 46.2-1038. When turn signals required; exceptions.

§ 46.2-1039. Requirements of turn signals; regulations.

§ 46.2-1048. Pollution control systems or devices.

§ 46.2-1055.1. Windshield defroster or defogger.

§ 46.2-1055. Windshield wipers.

§ 46.2-1056. When safety glass required.

§ 46.2-1057. Windshields.

§ 46.2-1069. Brakes on motorcycles.

§ 46.2-1082. Mirrors.

§ 46.2-1088.1. Hood scoops.

§ 46.2-1092. Safety lap belts or a combination of lap belts and shoulder harnesses to be installed in certain motor vehicles.

§ 46.2-1049 Exhaust system in good working order.

Other Organizations


Coalition for Auto Repair Equality

Historic Vehicle Association

Free VIN Check




Bill of Sale Only Title Process

From Car Titles

The party’s over. The State of Vermont has closed the too-good-to-be-true loophole that allowed you to register a motor vehicle there without living in the state and without physically making an appearance at a Vermont registry, without proof of insurance, and, if the vehicle is 15 years or older, without a title or a previous registration.

Solution: If you have purchased or acquired a vehicle and the prior title is not available, or the prior owner is not available, the least expensive option is to use an out of state title process to obtain your title. If the vehicle is more than 15 years old (2006 or older), the State of Vermont will accept a basic bill of sale to transfer ownership to your name. The other 49 states do not allow for bill of sale to transfer.

You do not have to live in Vermont
• The vehicle does not have to have come from Vermont
• The bill of sale does not need to be from the last titled owner (can be from anyone)

Vermont issues a registration form of ownership for 15 year old vehicles. Since that is their version of a title, you can obtain this document in your name by paying the registration fee with just a bill of sale, and then present it to your state DMV who will then issue you a legal title in your name, in your state. This Vermont registration you receive can be used in most states. Please verify with your state to determine the vehicle eligibility for particular years. If your state requires a title, Click Here for an alternate process.

Recent news stories regarding the “Vermont DMV Title” process have created scrutiny of VT documents in certain states. (link below)

The Vermont DMV Is Secretly America’s DMV

Most state DMV agents know to recognize the Vermont registration as a valid ownership document, since they are a non-titling jurisdiction. There are instances where a particular office or window agent may not be aware of the interpretation. Be advised that using any title recovery process is at the sole risk of the client. You may wish to select an alternate title method if you do not have certain confirmation that your DMV office would easily accept the VT reg,

Click Here to view alternate methods

You will receive a registration / ownership document from the state of Vermont. (Along with valid license plates). Bring these to the DMV / title office in your state to exchange for a title issued to your name, in your state.

Since US states may recognize other states’ documents, this may be converted to a more formal title in your home state.

Bonus: In addition to the legal ownership documents, Vermont will also send you a license plate for registration. No insurance is required to obtain the registration documents.

Bill of Sale Only Title Process FAQ

How much will the bill of sale only title process cost me?
When you order with CarTitles.com, our $79 flat fee provides you with all of the documents and instructions to obtain your title.

What about sales tax and registration fees?
You will receive a notice for the sales tax and registration fees separately. You can pay these fees directly to the DMV at any time you wish, by check or money order. The current Vermont DMV fees are $48 for motorcycles and $76 for cars, plus sales tax.

Does my bill of sale need to be notarized?
No, your bill of sale does not need to be notarized.

Can my bill of sale be handwritten?
Yes, your bill of sale can be handwritten or typed.

What does my bill of sale need to include?
Include the VIN, purchase price, purchase date, buyer and seller information.

Does this work for any vehicle?
Yes, any legitimate vehicle. This is not a method for stolen cars, parts-only, or lienholder owned vehicles.

Title Orders Call: 256-448-4853

Home Page Show Photos Calendar Newsletter Member Clubs
Info Join Us About This Site Links Contact

© 1999 - 2024 Car Club Council of Central Virginia, Inc - All Rights Reserved